What can Jessner's peel treat?
· Visually retexturise thickened or oily skin
· Will improve the appearance of large pores
· Exfoliation of the skin's upper layer allows improved absorption of products
· Excellent for treatment of comedones (blackheads) and acne prone skin
· Affective on acne prone areas on the body such as back, arms & chest
Contra-indications (reason why Jessner's may not suit)
· Allergies to asperin based products (salicylates), resorchinol or lactic acid
· Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
· Deramtitis or infection in the area to be treated
· Abnormal wound healing
NB Please advise your dermal therapist or nurse if you are prone to cold sores.
How many sessions do I need?
We recommend a course of 2 to 6 peels, this is dependent on skin type, skin condition, peels strength and desired outcome.
What does it feel like?
Jessner's solution is at a low pH, so it will sting a little. Throughout the application (10-20 minutes) the patient holds a devise, which gently blows out cool air – this helps to reduce the sting.
How does my skin look after the treatment?
· Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity (similar to a sunbun) lasting 12 to 48 hours
· Skin will feel tight and dry
· Some darkened areas of skin may occur (this is the skin preparing to shed)
· Varying amount of mild to moderate flaking/peeling can occur for approximately 3-7 days after your treatment
· Do not pick or peel the skin prematurely
· After skin has shed it has a healthy glow, feels softer and smoother.
· It is important to protect new skin from sun by using a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF 30+ sunscreen daily
· If the peeling skin is removed prematurely, prolonged healing and or infection is possible and may lead to a scar
· Possible herpes simplex outbreak if prone to cold sores
· Hyperpigmentation (darker areas of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months
· Some clients may experience mild temporary swelling of treatment area (rare).
Prior to having a Jessner's peel, we recommend that the skin is primed with active ingredients for at least two weeks prior to the peel. This is to maximise peel outcomes, assist in speeding the healing time and reduces the risk of post peel complications. A specific skin care regime will be recommended to you at your initial consultation.
A Jessner's peel face & neck will cost $170.00 and will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. A course of three (3) superficial Jessner's peels may be recommended at a reduced price of $460 and are performed fortnightly apart.
Patient After-Care for Superficial Peels
Now that you've had your first peel, there are a few simple steps for after care that you will need to follow:
Avoid the use of moisturisers or lotions containing active ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acids, perfumes and colours. Please use the moisturiser supplied to you for 3-7 days or until your skin is no longer sensitive. Thereafter, continue with your usual moisturisers unless advised otherwise.
Your skin will be a little more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. Please wear a hat and sunscreen daily. This should be a regular routine for you anyway!
Apply foundation as you wish.
Slight crusting and/or scabbing in particular areas may develop. If so, please do not rub or pick the skin as this may lead to a scar. It is also recommend
If you have any concerns or questions please call the office on 9382 4800.
Expected changes over the next 7 to 14 days include:
Day 1 to 3 – Tight, dry skin with moderate redness and sensitivity
Day 2 to 5 – Areas of darkened skin (this is the old skin in preparation to peel)
Day 3 to 7 – Peeling or slight flaking lasting 2 to 5 days
Home Care Products to use for the following 3 – 5 days
It is important to avoid the use of exfoliating products for the next 3-5 days. To avoid sun sensitivities it is important to apply a broad-spectrum sun block daily.
We recommend the following regime:
- Ultra Milk Cleanser/ Gentle Cleansing Gel/ Ultra Clear Foaming Cleanser
- Ultra Calming Treatment Cream
- Ultra Hydrating Lotion/ Ultra Moisturiser Cream/ Ultra Rich Moisturiser Cream
- Multi-Vitamin Daily Moisturiser SPF 15+ UVA UVB/ Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 30+ UVA UVB